Sometimes, though, you may not want the whole youtube video, but just a small part of the video. If only there was a way to easily crop the videos to only play the content you want the students to see….oh wait there is! For today’s snack, I would like to talk to you about a tool called tubechop .
This tools allow you to cut out the content you don’t want your students to see. After you chop the video, you get a url where you can access the video.
This tool is free and simple to use. Tubechop lets you crop videos by clicking and dragging. See below pictures for an explanation on how this tool works.
*If more than one portion is wanted from the video (i.e. remove the whole middle), users will have to create two chopped segments which can be posted separately.
*If YouTube is blocked in your district, Tubechop videos will not show either, since they are "pulled" from YouTube. Check your school access before you plan to use TubeChop! (When tested in a district that blocks You Tube, the actual Tube Chop video did not play.)
*Teachertube videos do not work with Splicd with tubechop.
What if youtube is blocked at your school?
*If youtube is blocked at your school or if you want to save a youtube video to your computer’s hard drive, you may use an online tool called http://keepvid.com or http://en.savefrom.net
· Using either tool, you can download the youtube video to your computer by simply copying and pasting the youtube url into the box then clicking on the download button.
· You can download the video, then save it to a location where your students can view it or show it to your students from your laptop if you have an lcd projector.
· Tubechop will not work with keepvid.com
· Teachertube videos do not work with keepvid.com, however they will work withhttp://en.savefrom.net . With http://en.savefrom.net you can download most online videos to your hard drive. This includes tubechop videos! A word of caution though- on their page they have a lot of ads that are suggestive in nature. A good tool for saving videos but I wouldn't have kids access the site because of the other ads on the page.
· Be aware that some videos on youtube have been uploaded illegally so you need to be aware of copyright issues with some videos.
· You need to know what type of file you want to download(flv,mp4, mp3 etc) to your computer and you need to know where you want to download the file to. Just so you know MP4 files will work on Macs and PCs. FLV files will only work with pcs.
Mmmm...I think I gave you two snacks there: one for cropping the youtube videos and the other for saving the videos. So we can call this tech snack twix snack.(Twix come in twos) Delicious!